The Flag2GC “20 for 20” Challenge
In celebration of our 20th year, we are challenging every rider to secure a minimum of $200 in donations (does not include registration fees). We estimate this will raise an additional $20k for the Marine League Charities. Is this your first year? Fundraising not your thing? Are you uncomfortable asking people for money? No problem, we have you covered with tips & tricks from perennial top fundraisers!
This week: Put your fundraising plan together and get started!
- Set a goal. Actually, set two goals. Set a goal for yourself (e.g. $200) and then double it. Tell everybody about the second goal, keep the first one to yourself. In fact, just tell everybody your goal is $500 or even $1000. What’s the worst that could happen…that you only raise $200?
- Build your “ask” list. Don’t be shy. Don’t feel bad about asking for money. Instead, assume that everybody wants the OPTION to support you and will be disappointed if you don’t ask. The more people you ask, the more you’ll raise. Suggestions:
- Friends & family
- Current or former military, especially Marines!
- Anybody whose cause you have supported in the past
- Business owners
- People who owe you money or favors
- Pro tip: keep everybody involved by giving them the option to provide support in the form of positive thoughts and fingers crossed for good weather and no flats or mechanicals.
- Pro tip: send emails via bcc: to avoid spam caused by well-intended “reply all” messages.
- Keep it simple, but make it personal
- Use the donation letter template to send emails to everybody on your list.
- Pro tip: “Make it your own” by including a personal story about why you are doing the ride or what it means to you.
- Pro tip: Include pictures from past rides (the muddier, the better)
- Pro tip: Use your social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, personal blog) to amplify your message.
- Pro tip: Offer perks (gift, act of service, ride swag or raffle prizes) to your supporters to encourage larger donations.
- Make it easy to contribute.
- Provide clear instructions (5th grade simple) about when you need donations, how to get them to you and who to make the check out to.
- Pro tip: Provide multiple options (PayPal, Check, Cash, Venmo). One rider even setup a GoFundMe account!
- Pro tip: Throw a party and ask everybody who attends to bring a donation
- Pro tip: Instead of simply asking for a donation, suggest contribution amounts (e.g. $20 or $40)
- Note: we prefer that you collect the money and turn it in (see below), but if your supporters use the Flag2GC PayPal account, be sure they include your name.
- Be Persistent!
- Send updates every 2-3 weeks. Some people will donate immediately, others prefer last minute and will appreciate the reminders.
- Pro tip: Provide updates on your fundraising (“I’m half way to my goal!”) and training progress (“I just got back from a 30 mile ride in 100+ heat”)
- Stay Organized
- Turn in your donations ahead of time
- Write a personal check for your cash donations
- Snail mail: MLC c/o Carie Wilson | 5937 S. Brittany Lane | Tempe, AZ 85283
- In person: July 27th 6-8pm (save the date, location TBD). Everybody who turns money in ahead of time will have a chance to win the use of Turtleback Trailer at end camp. Raise $200 and you get a second raffle ticket.
- At the ride: You can turn in donations at start or end camp, but “the man” gets a cut of all money collected on Forest Service land.
Do you have questions? Send us an email!
Do you have fundraising tips or suggestions that you’d like to share? Send us an email!
Do you know of sponsors who want to contribute swag for the raffle? Send us an email!
Now – get busy raising and riding!